Thursday, October 20, 2016

Stand Firm

     “A man must go through a long and great conflict in himself before he can learn fully to overcome himself, and to draw his whole affection towards God. When a man stands upon himself he is easily drawn aside after human comforts. But a true lover of Christ, and a diligent pursuer of virtue, does not hunt after comforts, nor seek such sensible sweetnesses, but is rather willing to bear strong trials and hard labors for Christ.”                
                                                                               Thomas a’ Kempis


     I claim and long to be a true lover of Christ, but lately, I have very much felt like St. Paul: “The willing is ready at hand, but doing the good is not. For I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want” (Rm. 7: 18b-19).

     For the last few months, I have been struggling so much in areas of my life with issues which, for quite some time, I thought I had overcome. What used to be easy and effortless, is now, more difficult than previously. I was under the impression that the battles I had fought so hard to win and overcome, were behind me. Boy, was I mistaken!

     “When an unclean spirit goes out of a person it roams through arid regions searching for rest but finds none. Then it says, ‘I will return to my home from which I came.’ But returning, it finds it empty, swept clean, and put in order. Then it goes and brings back with itself seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they move in and dwell there; and the last condition of that person is worse than the first” (Mt. 12: 43-45).

     Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think I’m possessed by an evil spirit, but by leaving my guard down, I had become somewhat proud. I had come “to stand upon myself and have allowed myself to be drawn after human comforts.” I had stopped listening to that little voice from the Holy Spirit, warning me about my weaknesses. I had depended far too much upon myself, and lost my footing. I had become soft and lost my stamina to engage the enemy within. At times, I have even forgotten that there is a battle!

     In the past, when I had overcome “myself,” it was with much effort. I had to work very hard and depend upon God completely. I knew that I was weak and helpless. I did not trust myself, but put my trust in God. Humility was my strength. I recognized my littleness and helplessness. But at the same time, I knew that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Ph 4:13).

     I want to take back “my home.” I want Christ to “sweep it out for me and put it in order.” I no longer want to feel like the Pharisees, “who cleanse the outside of the cup and the dish, inside you are filled with plunder and evil” (Lk 11: 39-40).  I don’t want to feel like a hypocrite. I want God to be the tenant in my home. I want Him to occupy my heart fully. I want to be free once again!

     “For freedom Christ set us free; so stand firm and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery” (Gal 5:1). “For you were called to freedom, brothers. But do not use this freedom as an opportunity for the flesh” (Gal 5:13).

     St. Paul tells us that we must not submit to “our flesh.” I have said yes to myself, far too much lately. I need to learn to say no. I do not want to produce the fruits of the flesh, but those of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Gal 5:22).

     If I live by the Spirit and listen to His promptings I will grow in His glorious fruits, one of which is self- control. It is not something I can just muster on my own – not for long anyway! As I try to live a virtuous life, I need and long for all the other fruits of the Spirit to assist me. I cannot fight this battle without them, nor bear the trials and labors which present themselves daily.

     I need to look beyond myself and look to God and His great love for me. When we truly love someone, we are willing to do all that we can to prove our love. So easily forgetting ourselves, thinking only of them, we are willing to die to all that separates us. I have to reject and say no to all that keeps me from truly loving God. I cannot do this on my own. I need God’s help. I need His love and mercy!

     In my previous post, The Wonders of God’s Ways, we discovered that Jesus’ heart burns with His graces of love and mercy which are rejected by many. He is looking for souls to receive these graces. I do not want to be counted among those who reject Christ's love, nor do you. I don’t want to the one who turns her back on Christ for a fleeting pleasure. I’m certain you do not either. In our times of temptation, when we are tempted to give in to the desires of our flesh, run to Jesus instead. We mustn’t ignore His call. It is the yearning and deep desire of our souls to be filled with Him. The passing things of this world will not fill us! Let us ask Christ to pour, in abundance, the rejected love and mercy that is bringing pain to His Heart. In return, we’ll shower Jesus with our love, as we turn our eyes toward Him. He will strengthen us. He will carry us when necessary.

     Don’t give up the fight; God will become your All!
   
    
    

1 comment:

  1. My dear sweet Jesus, forgive me too for the times I have forgotten that it was You who cleansed me. Deflate my pompous, arrogant, proud heart and fill it with your love, peace, grace and have mercy on me a sinner!!! Thank you once again Avia Joy, for making a difference in my life and the lives of all those whom you come in contact with through your blog.

    ReplyDelete