Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Gifts from the Father

 “All good giving and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no alteration or shadow caused by change.”                                          James 1:17  


    As I rode home from my retreat, an early birthday gift from my siblings, my heart felt free! There was a sense of reclaimed hopes and dreams, which I had abandoned for some time. I was curious to see just how things would be different.

     It was the beginning of February; a big birthday month in our family – six in fact. There would be lots of family get togethers and excitement! It was also the third anniversary of my sister Sarah’s cancer diagnosis. 

     Sarah had been diagnosed with a small cell carcinoma and was not expected to live much past a year. She was set on doing everything she could do medically, to extend her life. Her faith and trust in God, enabled her to hand everything over to Him and give praise. 

     Thankfully, Sarah responded well to the surgery and the treatments to fight the cancer. She had three years behind her, and for that, we were very grateful!

     Jonathan and I were very busy with all of our family birthday celebrations. We had celebrated several birthdays already and were heading to our son and daughter in laws house for our grandson’s party. 

     As we walked in, a barrage of very excited faces yelled out, “surprise!” I was stunned! Having a party, was a dream I had let go of because of covid, but my children and their spouses thought differently. Although they kept the numbers down because of the spread of the virus, many of the most important people in my life were there. 

      I began to greet my loved ones, surveying the room with tear-filled eyes. Was Sarah here? I was answered quickly with a call on Facetime. She had had a reaction to one of her treatments and could not make the trip up from North Carolina. Although I understood and knew she’d be here if she could, I missed her presence terribly. She and I are seventeen months apart and she is not only my big sister, but my longest friend and I wanted so to give her a big hug.

     As I spoke to Sarah on Facetime, someone from the party kept tapping me on the shoulder. I didn’t want to be rude, but couldn’t they see I was busy talking to my sister? 

     They would not give up! The tapping persisted, so I finally excused myself and turned to see what was so important that it could not wait. To my great astonishment, it was Sarah! I couldn’t believe my eyes! I started crying and hugged her and did not want to let go.

     As I was praising God in my heart, an announcement was made that my ten-year-old granddaughter was going to play me a song on the piano. She had been practicing a song she knew I’d love for several months now. She was not only going to play it but was going to sing it as well! The song was Hallelujah! It was the same song of praise that was echoing in my soul. I sat here, surrounded by my family and friends with tears streaming down my face.

     This was the best gift ever! I felt so loved and cherished. The party was so unexpected and received with gratitude and joy. So many of my loved ones were there and Sarah was feeling well enough to make the trip to celebrate with me!

     My heart overflowed with gratitude to God. He had already given me the wonderful gift of the retreat and now this, a surprise party! 

     “Papa,” I said from the depths of my heart, “I really must be Your beloved daughter. It’s not even my birthday yet and You have been so very generous to me. What more could I ever want? Thank you so very much and know that I’m crazy about you as well!”

     “Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; His love is everlasting.”    Psalm 118:1   

     

      

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for you and this beautiful memory! Thank you for sharing it! It warms my heart too.

    ReplyDelete