Tuesday, January 24, 2023

A Gift Beyond Measure

     “Give thanks to the Lord, invoke His name; make known among the nations His deeds.”               Psalm 105: 1

  

      It was almost three weeks since my retreat and I felt very encouraged by the changes that had taken place in my relationship with Jonathan.

     So often in our primary relationships, and our primary vocations, we can slip up and not be as “present” as we once had been. Because I was trying to be more present and listen, so I could “do whatever He tells you” - Jesus, that is, I was being more attentive to my husband. 

     I began listening more mindfully; not just saying the first thought that came into head and holding my tongue at times. Jesus began to point out to me different annoying things that I had gotten in the habit of doing. 

     At times I would correct Jonathan for a silly, insignificant fact; “it wasn’t that color. No, it was Thursday not Tuesday. It was last year.” Stupid things that didn’t really matter, that would shut him up quickly. Along with that, I had the bad habit of trying to finish his thoughts while he was speaking or guess what he was trying to say. Both of which were conversation stoppers.

     I was taken aback at how often I had to stop myself from chiming in. I honestly hadn’t realized how often I did it. It was crystal clear to me now, how annoying it is. I really had believed that my husband was just being difficult at times. Truth be told, I was the one…ouch!

     As the weeks progressed in my new listening skills, I could see what a wonderful effect it was having on both of us. I was so very pleased and thanked God for the wonderful insight He had given me and prayed for the grace to continue. 

     The gifts and graces continued to flow, which delighted me. Jonathan had made dinner reservations to celebrate my official birthday at our favorite restaurant. I had been looking forward to this date for some years; 02/22/22! And I was excited to celebrate the big one: I was turning seventy! Holy cow! How did that happen? On most days I didn’t feel that old. But there were nights while climbing the stairs to go to bed, when an elevator would be appreciated. 

     Jonathan and I arrived at the restaurant, and once seated, we began to talk about our many blessings and memories. We would be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary in September and would have to think about how we would celebrate it. 

     He asked me what I’d like to do. I reminded him we had talked about going to Rome and he replied that we’d have to look into it. Our conversation turned to other topics and before you knew it, we were on our way home from a very pleasant experience.

     The next evening while I was preparing dinner, Jon came into the kitchen with his iPad. I just assumed he found an interesting article that he wanted to share with me. 

     He immediately captured my full attention when he announced, “I think I found a trip you would like that has everything on your bucket list.” I was more than curious now. What was the itinerary of this trip? 

     He then listed the places where we would visit: Lisbon, Portugal, to see the birthplace of St. Anthony; Santarem, to view a Eucharistic miracle from the 13th century; Fatima, to see the places where Our Lady appeared to Lucia, Francisco and Jacinta, as well as their homes and parish church; Alba de Tormes and Avila, Spain, to visit the Carmelite convents where St. Teresa of Jesus founded and lived; Loyola, the place where St. Ignatius had his conversion; Lourdes, where our Lady appeared to St. Bernadette, and see the site, as well as her home; and lastly, Rome, the crown jewel of the trip!

     I was stunned and almost speechless! I wanted to say, “where is my husband, and what have you done with him?” Instead, I went over to Jonathan and gave him a big hug and told him how wonderful that would be! I was hoping for Rome, and he was giving me so much more! This was the most generous, unselfish gift he had ever given to me. This was a gift he chose for me…with no thought of what he wanted to do. And the best part was that he wanted to share it and travel to the places with me! I was over the moon with gratitude and could not wait to share the news with my family and friends. 

     I could barely sleep that night. In my heart and mind, I was thanking and praising God for all that He had given to me! “Papa, you have been doing cartwheels trying to show me through my loved ones just how much you care for me. You knew how much this birthday meant to me, and you showered me continuously this month with one wonderful surprise after another. I will treasure all of these memories in my heart forever! And oh, do I look forward to celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary in September, and then our pilgrimage in October. Thank You, Papa! Thank You!”

     After some time, I did fall asleep, most likely, with a smile of gratitude on my face.


     “Sing to Him, sing His praise, proclaim all His wonderous deeds.”     Psalm 105:2

     

      

2 comments:

  1. Wow - I find your little changes as a wife very convicting!! I need to look at that too! And I love hearing the joy you felt about your pilgrimage! How exciting! Can't wait to hear more. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jewels you’ve received are truly priceless! What an invaluable lesson we all should learn! It brings to mind the scripture, “Set a guard O Lord before my mouth, keep watch over the door of my lips” Ps 141:3

    ReplyDelete