Thursday, November 17, 2016

Remember and Rejoice

     “This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.”  
                                                                                                            Psalm 118:24


     As I read those words, my heart cringed! I did not greet each day in that manner. In fact, those thoughts do not typically even come to mind most days.

     It pains me to admit my guilt because God is a great part of my life. My day begins with quiet prayer time and then Mass and Holy Communion. It is followed by reading daily devotionals to challenge and cement my walk with the Lord. He is on my mind throughout the day. I converse with Him continually as He journeys beside me. So, of what am I guilty?

     I am guilty of forgetting that the Lord has made this day – each and every day. He is involved with every part of it. It is filled with His presence and His grace. That very fact should cause a deep rejoicing within my being. It should uplift my spirit and give me great confidence and peace. Yet, even aware of His presence with me, there are many days I do not rejoice, nor feel glad!

     Instead, I’m busy doing all the things that need to get accomplish. The “to do” list never seems to shorten. As I’ve aged, I thought life would slow down some, but it has not. Also, as my family has grown, so have the joys and the struggles. The joys I find delightful. It’s the struggles that can weigh me down. Being burdened and busy is no excuse for neglecting to rejoice in God. So, what is out of sync?

     Have I become complacent or begun to take God and His graces and blessings for granted? You know, like after years of marriage, you can sometimes take your spouse for granted and not appreciate them. Have I become so “used” to God that I have stopped seeing all that He does for me? Have I forgotten where I would be without Him? Is it not true, that everything I do can give Him glory and that each task is my to offering to God? This is my path to holiness and heaven, and my life, as crazy and hectic as it is, is my gift to Him – and His gift to me!

     I need to refocus. I have to allow this psalm to become my morning, afternoon and evening prayer. I need to be reminded because I can forget. I want to give God my all, by letting go of my heavy, weary heart. My desire should be to bring God glory, as I accept each day with a heart full of joy. I want to remember each and every day of my life, that He has made this day for me. I need to remember that God is God and I am not. I am not called to solve every problem, nor can I.

     God will be there with His graces to help me to overcome myself, when I get weighed down with the burdens of life. He wants me to rejoice, even when life does not go the way I like. He wants me to trust that He has a plan that will sanctity me, if I cooperate with His graces. He wants me to soak in His love and His graces and not just go through the motions. I need to be aware and awake to God’s goodness and love, and never take it for granted. I long to rest in His love and allow the joy to rise within my heart. I have to trust Him more fully, so I can rejoice and be glad in whatever unfolds in my day.

     Oh my dear sweet God! I do love You so very much, but can be burdened and distracted by the duties and worries of life. Help me to be conscious that this is the day that You have made. Nothing is in it that can separate me from You and the joy You long to give me. Let me rejoice and not allow anything to rob my joy and trust in You. May I always remember that You will provide me with the grace that I need to accomplish Your holy will. Nothing happens from which You cannot bring good. Everything is grace!

     “For I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the Lord, plans for welfare and not for woe! Plans to give you a future full of hope” (Jer 29:11).

1 comment:

  1. I love the way your open up "The Word" and make it real!!! Of course I KNOW God made this day, in fact, most times I thank Him for this day...but REJOICE????? Now, that is a different story. Like you, Avia Joy, I wake up giving my day to God, lifting my prayers, reading His word and reflections. I also speak to Him throughout the entire day...but where's the joy? Thank you for pointing this out, I will be mindful of it now. "This is the day the Lord has made, LET US BE GLAD AND REJOICE IN IT!"

    ReplyDelete