Friday, July 8, 2016

Timeless Wisdom

     “Majestic sovereign, timeless wisdom, Your kindness melts my hard, cold soul. Handsome love, selfless giver, Your beauty fills my dull, sad eyes. I am Yours, You made me. I am Yours, You called me. I am Yours, You saved me. I am Yours, You loved me. I will never leave Your presence. Give me death, give me life. Give me sickness, give me health. Give me honor, give me shame. Give me weakness, give me strength. I will have whatever You give.” St. Teresa of Avila


     This beautiful prayer poem is entitled, “A Love Song.” It speaks of the deep, intimate relationship that St. Teresa had with her beloved spouse, Jesus Christ.


     It is clear that although she recognized Christ as her God and King, she knew Him in a deep and personal way. Teresa is certain that she belongs to God and pledges never to leave His presence. Because of her immeasurable knowledge of her sovereign Lord and Love, she is content to accept from God whatever He gives to her in life. Her trust in Him is awe-inspiring, as well as intimidating, to one who looks on.

     This prayer poem is one that I love and have aspired to live. This past month, when I faced my own mortality, it became quite clear to me how very far I am from living this out. I saw how difficult it is to measure my own “progress” in the spiritual life because my reaction was quite different than I had anticipated. I had expected feelings of peace and acceptance and experienced fear and anxiety instead. I found the unknown to be frightening and cowered at what the prognosis for my life could be.

     Thanks be to God, I did receive a good report from my doctor. From time to time, follow-up studies will be done to keep abreast of my condition, but it appears that “all will be well.”

     In retrospect, looking at my situation, I found it interesting that the way we speak, clearly shows our views and attitudes about God’s plan – yet we often fail to notice.

     To make my point, please note, I told people that I received a good report from the doctor because he told me that everything looked good. In other words, because I heard what I wanted to hear I judged that it was good. If I were more like St. Teresa, any report that I received I would have seen as good, because God, in His wisdom, allowed it. He always only wants my good, even when it involves pain and suffering.  In my head, I truly believe this. In my heart and mind, I am a long way off from owning this.

     When St. Therese was in dire pain and suffering greatly, she said, “I turn to God and all His saints, and thank them notwithstanding; I believe they want to see how far my trust may extend. But the words of Job have not entered my heart in vain: ‘Even if God should kill me, I would still trust in Him’ (Job 13:15).  I own, it has taken a long time to arrive at this degree of self-abandonment; but I have reached it now, and it is the Lord Himself Who has brought me there.”

     It is clear, in the lives of both Teresa and Therese that they weren’t born with this type of faith and trust in God. With them, as with all the saints, it most likely happened little by little. Therese tells us that it was God Himself that brought her to this point, and I’m certain that Teresa would say the same.

     Each time they were faced with a challenge, they depended upon God and not themselves. They remembered they were His little children and depended on His help. They received the grace and were open to “operate” with it, to accept little by little, the situations in their lives. Their faith and trust increased, as did their love and knowledge of God. They never stopped trying, even when they fell or failed. They accepted their humanity and allowed our good God to carry them to wherever He saw fit.

     I long to be saint, with all my heart and soul! I long to come to a point of trusting God with every aspect of my life and the lives of those I love and all those loved by God. I yearn to know my God as did Teresa, Therese, and all the saints. I pray for the grace to persevere and keep trying each and every time a drop of doubt or lack of trust rises in my heart and mind. I want to learn to surrender and utter the words like Therese, “Even if God would kill me, I would still trust Him.” Or like Teresa, “I will have whatever You give,” or my sweet Mother, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me, according to You word” (Lk 1:38).

     O my dear sweet God! I love You and bless You and praise You! You have seen fit to continue my journey here on earth. Give me the grace, as well as the openness to move in that grace, to fulfill Your will for me in this life. Help me to become the woman You have called me to be from all eternity. Increase my faith and trust in You. Expand and dilate my heart, so I can love as You love. Help me to be patient with myself until one day, like Sts. Teresa and Therese, I receive Your heavenly embrace.
   
   
   
   

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing more to say here than...AMEN!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing this treasure trove to us Avia Joy!!!

    ReplyDelete