Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Thy Will Be Done - Part 1

     My alarm went off last Monday morning and while getting out of bed, I remembered it was Our Lady’s birthday. That thought brought a smile to my face, and I wished my sweet Mother, “Happy Birthday!”  I always hold Mary’s feast days dear and one way I honor her is by wearing something blue. It is my way of keeping her close to me as I navigate through the day.

     I had nothing unusual planned that day: Mass, quiet prayer time, exercise and back to my house to do my normal Monday chores. When I arrived back home, I saw my husband’s car was still there. Jonathan was busy placing some phone calls for work, so I had my breakfast and then began my chores.


     In between phone calls, we were able to talk and he mentioned he had wakened through the night, with indigestion. My father- in- law had had heart disease, so his statement sent a red flag flashing in my mind. He had drunk just a half of cup of coffee and did not feel up to eating. Jonathan continued with his phone calls, as I went about with my work.

     As the morning wore on, so did his discomfort. He kidded me that maybe this was the “big one” and I kidded back, “No such luck.” If he thought he was going to his eternal reward before me, I had news for him! This was a standing joke between us, so we both laughed.

     At one o’clock, I decided to have lunch and asked if he wanted a little something. Maybe it would make him feel better. Jonathan had a half of sandwich but an hour and a half later, it all came up and out!

     I was now beginning to become really concerned. “Do you think we should go to the hospital?” I asked. He wanted to wait to see if, having vomited, he would feel some relief. He did not. He made his way back into our bathroom. He now knew something was not right, so we were off to the ER.

     We did not live far from the hospital, but it seemed like the longest ride ever, as Jonathan sat next to me in excruciating pain. Our travel time coincided with school dismissal. We had to creep through three school zones, which increased our anxiety. All I could do was pray and focus on getting there. “Please God, don’t let it be his heart! Please God, don’t let him pass out or die right here in the car. Let us at least get to the hospital so he can get the help he so desperately needs.”

     I looked down at my blue top, and was again reminded that it was Mary’s birthday. I then prayerfully placed Jonathan into our Mother’s hands. He was born on one of her feast days, so I knew he was special to her.  “Mary, please take charge of this situation.” As at Cana, I asked Our Lady to intercede to her Son, Jesus, for our needs, known and unknown.

     A few minutes later, we arrived at the ER. I dropped Jonathan off, so I could park. Walking from my car to the door, I wondered whether or not he would be walking out with me at some point. I then prayed, “Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done.”  Taking a deep breath, I walked into the hospital.

1 comment:

  1. What a day the two of you had Avia Joy. It began so normally too. This is why it is always so important for us to remain in the state of grace. As scripture says...we will not know the day or the hour! Thank you for sharing this with us and I prayerfully await Part 2.

    ReplyDelete