Friday, August 1, 2014

Stand in hope

“Hope is patience with a lamp lit”                                                 Tertullian


     Something stirred within my heart when I read Tertullian’s words,  “Hope is patience with a lamp lit.”       I felt as though I was engulfed in darkness – without any light. His words caused me to entertain the idea that, just maybe, there was a dim flicker of which I was unaware until that moment. The possibility that hope was present in the burden that plagued my soul began to dawn on me.


     “A bruised reed he shall not break, and a smoldering wick he shall not quench” (Isaiah 42 vs 3). I was that bruised reed and that smoldering wick and God was asking me to be steadfast in my faith in Him and to hold onto hope.  He would not allow me to be tested beyond the grace that He was giving to me to persevere.  But I needed to believe this truth, be open to His grace and walk in patient trust. He was calling me to trust Him whether I lived to see this particular prayer answered as I wanted or not.

     Up until that time, I had been sitting under the ‘broom tree’ with Elijah. Like Elijah, I too felt weary with life and if God saw fit to take my life as an offering for this prayer request – His will be done! But that was not His plan. He instead sent an angel with a hearth cake and a jug, as He had with Elijah. “Get up and eat, else the journey will be too long for you. He got up, ate and drank; then strengthened by that food, he walked forty days and forty nights to the mountain of God, Horeb” (1 Kings 19 vs 7b-8).

     On that blessed day, Tertullian was my angel and his words were the jug and bread that I needed to continue on my journey, with hope that had almost slipped through my fingers.

     I feel certain that the graces of the sacraments were what enabled me to continue to be faithful to God and steadfast in my prayer, in spite of the darkness and temptation to believe that God didn't care. I also came to see the broom tree as a gift and grace from God, which enabled me to, not only place the situation in His hands, but my life as well. The broom tree became not just a place of surrender, but a symbol of hope and trust in God.    

     Like Elijah, having been fed, I could then continue on my journey to the mountain of God, surrendering my doubts and fears. Leaving the broom tree behind, my heart was overflowing with gratitude to God that once again, I was living in hope!

     When life is difficult and the clouds of discouragement are growing darker, please recall Tetullian’s words and be assured of God’s love for you. Stand in hope with your lamp lit, expecting God’s grace to sustain you!
   
   
         
                                                       

1 comment: