Tuesday, August 5, 2014

An unexpected gift

     My husband and I were out to dinner, and thoughts of an upcoming retreat kept popping into my mind. I dismissed the thought, since I had not planned to attend and it was less than a week away. I also assumed that most likely it was filled, since it was being given by renowned Directors. But there it was again! I could not get this thought out of my mind. I began to wonder if I was supposed to attend.

     Wanting to put this question to rest, I finally succumbed to the nagging, and casually mentioned it to my husband.  He was quite agreeable to the idea and told me to look into it. I called on Monday morning and was delighted to learn that they had extended the number of attendees and I could be part of it. I asked if I would be able to stay there, or would I need to commute? That answer was uncertain and they would let me know. I knew that I needed to trust that if God had worked this out so far, He would continue to work things out for my best interest.


     In no time at all, I received a call that there was a room for me. I was so excited that things were falling into place! I began to wonder what God had in store for me with this special gift.

     The days quickly passed and Friday arrived. I was off to the retreat! Just as God had orchestrated my attending the retreat, I needed to believe that He would take care of every other aspect of it.

     Friday evening, as I was looking for a place to sit for dinner, an old friend called to me. I was delighted with our reunion and we decided to spend meal times together. I had specifically asked God to send someone to me at meal time – and He did.

     On Saturday morning the Word of God pierced my heart in a special way. “You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows” (Ps 23 vs 5b). His precious Word told me that I belonged to Him. I was His! He had claimed me by the anointing of my Baptism and is filling me to overflowing. He had brought me here to the retreat and would take care of the details.  I did not need to try to control everything. I was to let go and trust Him. I needed to believe that God would act and wait for His lead. This revelation gave me the gift of freedom – to fall into Papa’s arms and let Him take me where He wanted.

      The blessings and graces that our good God poured down upon me, continued throughout the weekend. They left me with many insights and treasured moments, to ponder and cherish. The wisdom and life lessons of the Directors sunk deep within my mind and heart. They challenge me in areas that I’ll need to explore more extensively. Their love and complete surrender to God reminded me to let go of any fear and to follow in their footsteps.

     On Sunday morning, with a heart full of love and gratitude to God for the awesome gifts that He had given to me, I made a visit to the chapel before leaving for home. I needed to thank Him for all that He had accomplished in me while on retreat, and for all He will do in the future.

     The biggest lesson that I brought home was to trust God’s Providential Will. Although the retreat was a desire of my heart, attending it was an unexpected gift. I learned that I needed to listen and respond to the promptings of the Holy Spirit, in order to receive His gift. I also needed to stop assuming that I knew the outcome to the thoughts that God places on my heart and instead trust Him with the outcome completely. This lesson is not limited to retreats, but to all aspects of life.

     Stop -- look -- and listen. God may have an unexpected gift just waiting for you!

   
   
   
   

   
   
   

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful gift AND message Avia Joy. Your story reminds me of one of my favorite Psalm verses, Ps. 46: 10 "Be still and know that I am God". So simple, yet so hard!

    ReplyDelete