Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Son - My dear sweet Jesus

     I'm really not sure when I began to call the Son, "my dear sweet Jesus", but I believe it was somewhere in my adult life. As a child, I just called Him "Jesus," but there was a certain sweetness in the sound of His name. I knew how precious I was to Him because of His death for me on the cross, and was very much aware of Jesus' love.

     I was very excited when I was getting prepared to receive Jesus in Holy Communion. I wanted to make my heart a perfect dwelling place for Him and keep it spotless. I remember practicing a song entitled, "Little White Guest,"* and singing it wholeheartedly when that special day arrived. Throughout my life, that song still warms my heart and brings feelings of love and tenderness for our Lord.

     As a young girl, I wanted to give my heart totally to Jesus and become His spouse by becoming a Carmelite nun. I loved the stations of the Cross, retreats, and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. It all spoke to me of the love Jesus had for me and nurtured my relationship with Him.

     As I grew older, I realized my vocation would not be to the cloistered life, but to marriage. Jesus would still be my Love, and with the help of His grace, He would expand my heart to love my earthly spouse, as well as any children God would bless us with.

     Less than a year from our first date, my husband and I received the Sacrament of Matrimony. While Christ was always a part of my life, it wasn't until we had children that I realized just how much I depended upon His graces. It was around this time that I felt a call to grow deeper in my relationship with God, as well as to grow in my knowledge of Him. I began by reading the scriptures, most especially the Gospels, to learn all that I could about Jesus. How could I imitate Him and teach my children about Our Lord if I wasn't immersed in His life . .  .in His Word?

     Over time, this did deepen my relationship with Jesus, as well as my love for Him. It nudged me to consider weekday Mass to be one with Him in Holy Communion more often than just on Sunday. I also began to read books that would feed my soul and inflame my love for Jesus.

     I found myself thinking about Him more often during the day and conversing frequently with Him as you would a friend - a very good friend. Somewhere, within this time, He became part of my heart and "my dear sweet Jesus."  And it is my hope and prayer that I am "His dear sweet One," as well.

   
    * Little White Guest

You have come to my heart, dearest Jesus, I am holding You close to my breast;
I'm telling You over and over, Your are welcome , O Little White Guest.

I love You, I love You, my Jesus, O please do not think I am bold;
Of course, You must know that I love You, but I'm sure that You like to be told.

I'll whisper, "I love You, my Jesus," and ask that we never may part;
I love You, O kind, loving Jesus and press You still nearer my heart.

And when I shall meet You in heaven, my soul then will lean on your breast. 
And You will recall our fond meetings, when You were my Little White Guest.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, tender and touching "Love Story". How special that it is with Our Lord and Savior! I know His love is returned 100 fold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting the words to "Little White Guest." As I was reading your blog, I was hoping that you would include the words because I am not familiar with this song. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete