Tuesday, February 14, 2017

God's Gift of Peace

     While on retreat, after soaking in the realization of God’s love for me, I remembered the scripture my director had suggested I bring to prayer: “For I know well the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare, not for woe! Plans to give you a future full of hope. When you call Me, when you go to pray to Me, I will listen to you. When you look for Me, you will find Me. Yes, when you seek Me with all your heart, you will find Me with you, says the Lord and I will change your lot”
(Jer 29:11-13).

     I wanted so much to hold onto the truth of God’s constant, never changing love for me. I did not want to allow life’s disappointments or my unmet expectations, to be the measuring stick with which I determined God’s love.

     As I pondered God’s precious Word, this thought penetrated my soul: You want ALL for my good! “All things work for the good of those who love Him” (Rm 8:28).

     THIS IS TRUTH! I needed to believe that with my whole being. God is not me, and He does things differently than I would. He has given us all freedom. He allows events to occur in my life that – if I cooperate and trust – will help me to grow in strength, grace and virtue. He can bring good from everything. His plan for me is full of hope! His love is real and true. I need to cling to God’s promise and His powerful love for me, especially when life’s events are “different” than I anticipate or expect.

     God was clearly telling me: “When you call, I hear you! When you pray, I listen! When you look for Me, you WILL find Me. When you seek Me with ALL your heart, you will find Me with you and I WILL change your lot.”

     I prayed, “My God, I hold You to these promises. I claim them this day in Your presence.”
     God’s Word kept pouring down upon me: “Your unfailing love, O Lord, is vast as the heavens; Your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds. How precious is Your unfailing love, O God” (Ps 36: 5,7), and “I will never leave you or forsake you” (Josh 1:5b).

      I did not need to be fearful. In fact, God was going out of His way to show how much He is involved in my life. The first morning of the retreat, my sister Rachel felt compelled to send me a text. She knew it was meant for me.

      “Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again; rejoice! Your kindness should be known to all. The Lord is near. Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with THANKSGIVING, make your request known to God. Then the peace of God, that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus” (Phil 4:4-7).

     I prayed, “Oh, my dear sweet God! I need to make this verse from Your Holy Spirit, my mantra for my way of living. You have given me instructions for the way to be rid of anxiety! I have to have a rejoicing, grateful heart! It is in You that I am rejoicing, because You ARE near!

     “In EVERYTHING, with prayer, praise, and thanksgiving, I am to make my requests to You. When I remember to do that, You promise me Your peace . . . something I yearn and long to have. In scripture, You told me that You do hear me. I need to remember that truth!”

     God’s Word continued: “Finally brother, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, and if there is anything worthy of praise, THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS” (Phil 4:8).

      “My God, Your Word enables me to keep my eyes, not only on Your and Johnathan’s goodness, but on everyone’s. You are showing me how to put on the mind of Christ! I have to focus on the positive – on the good. Not on the negative. You are showing me how to capture goodness and joy, and have a heart full of gratitude! My God, I want it! Sear it into my heart, mind and soul. Allow it to form me. Help me to become the woman You have called me to be from all eternity. Let me do what I can to cooperate with Your grace to bring it about. My God, I love You! Thank You!”

     I felt awed and very much loved, by all that God had revealed to me! After dinner, I spent the evening in the chapel before Jesus, in the Blessed Sacrament, pouring out my love and gratitude to Him. He impressed upon my heart, that there is nothing I need to do for Him to love me. His love is everlasting. I cannot earn it. I cannot lose it. I am loved!

     While sitting quietly, soaking in God’s love, Jesus placed upon my heart, the idea to call my husband Johnathan. I needed to ask for his forgiveness, for all the ways with which I had taken his love for granted. And to thank him for all the ways he has loved me through the years.

     I did, as Jesus suggested, and afterwards went to bed, the end of my first day on retreat, with a heart filled with God’s peace!

To be continued . . .
    
    

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Avia Joy, what a first day, that is amazing!!! You are such an example to everyone else and ease the fears and anxieties of all your readers with sharing your stories. Thank you and may God continue to bless you!

    ReplyDelete