Friday, March 27, 2015

One of His Favorites

     “Yes, my heart’s dear one, Jesus is here with His Cross. Since you are one of His favorites, He wants to make you into His likeness; why be afraid that you will not have the strength to carry this cross without a struggle? On the way to Calvary, Jesus did indeed fall three times and you, poor child, would like to be different from your Spouse? Would you rather not fall a hundred times if necessary to prove your love to Him by getting back up with even more strength than before your fall!                                                                                                                                                 St. Therese of Lisieux



     Being one of our dear sweet Jesus’ favorites, He wants to make you into His very likeness: carrying your cross is part of the package. The cross is the instrument that was used by our Lord to bring about our salvation. When we accept our cross, it will transform our suffering and be a means of elevating and sanctifying our souls.


     Jesus comes to us each day and offers to share the cross with us. It sometimes comes in the appearance of annoyances: waking up on the wrong side of the bed, car troubles, cancelled plans, unexpected house repairs, bad weather, minor problems at home or at work, and little things similar to these. They are not the big heavy cross of Christ, but small ones that can help us exercise our spiritual muscles. Each time we are able to recognize them for what they are, accept them and unite them with Our Lord’s Cross, we grow in grace and virtue. We are likened to athletes strengthening themselves for the “big game.”

     Unlike athletes, we are not looking forward to the “big game,” although we know at times it will be part of our lives. The heavy crosses that can crush us and push us to the ground, are the ones from which we want to run. They appear, as unwelcome guests, bringing with them, dread, fear, hopelessness and suffering. They come, as sickness or death of a loved one, broken relationships, betrayal, loss of job or home, chronic illness, and various other ways. Carrying these crosses is not easy, but as followers of Christ, we are called to imitate Him. “Whoever wishes to come after Me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me” (Mt. 16 vs. 24).

     We forget that before carrying His cross, Jesus prayed to His Father, “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet, not as I will, but as You will” (Mt. 26 vs. 39). When a cross comes our way, we too can beseech God and ask that He remove it from us. If it remains, we must pray to be open to the grace that we will need to endure. This doesn't mean that we will carry it without great effort and sometimes failure. What it means is that we will be faithful and with the grace of God, begin again, and get back up when we fall. Jesus Himself fell three times under the weight of His Cross. We are not stronger than Jesus. He is God!

     As we grow in our love for our Lord, we will begin to realize that we are not alone as we carry our cross. Jesus is right there with us offering His love and assistance. He knows how frail and weak we are and will help us when the weight of the cross throws us to the ground.

     Then, looking at us with love, Jesus will bend down to lift us up and will wipe our bloodied brow. Gratefully, we will get up once again, our hearts full of love for Christ, as we continue our way to Calvary.  

     O my dear sweet Jesus, I thank and praise You for suffering and dying for me. I am so very grateful for the love and grace that You pour into my heart and soul. Thank you for considering me as one of Your favorites and for wanting to make me into Your likeness. Help me to imitate You by accepting and carrying the crosses that are sent into my life – the big as well as the small. Help me to unite my pain and suffering with Yours so it will be redemptive. Allow me to trust that Your grace will be sufficient for me, especially when I fall under the heavy weight of the cross. At those times, lift me close to Your heart, enabling me get back up – a hundred times if necessary – to prove my great love for You!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my dear sweet Jesus, thank you again and again for helping me bear my crosses in life and for always sending at least one Simon. You are an awesome God and I thank you for loving me. Thank you for helping us remember this Avia Joy, especially the week before Holy Week.

    ReplyDelete