Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Saint Peter and I

     “Peter is the supreme example of the Gospel warning: …whoever thinks he is standing secure should take care not to fall “(1Cor 10:12).   
                                                          Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen  

              
     I feel discouraged and disheartened right now, as I think about the high hopes I had for my spiritual growth this Lenten season. It’s already Holy Week, and I am still struggling with the same issues that plagued me on Ash Wednesday!

     By allowing certain circumstances in my life, God gave me plenty of opportunities to practice, yet I have remained unable to overcome myself and my weaknesses. I relied on my own strength, and not on God’s. Because I trusted my abilities, which brought poor results, I succumbed to my fears. I was then filled with darkness and doubt. It saddens me, when I look at my empty hands, bereft of gifts and offerings to show my love to God.

     Like St. Peter, I pledged myself to Christ – “Though all may have their faith shaken, mine will never be” (Mt 26:33), and “Even though I should have to die with You, I will not deny You” (Mt 26:35).

     Jesus knows Peter and I have the same weaknesses – “Amen I say to you, this very night before the cock crows, you will deny Me three times” (Mt 26:34).

     Aware of our weaknesses, Christ prayed: “Simon, Simon, behold Satan has demanded to sift all of you like wheat, but I have prayed that your own faith may not fail, and once you have turned back, you must strengthen your brothers” (Lk 22:31-32).

     I have a choice right now. I can continue to feel badly about myself and wallow in self-pity, or I can go to my dear sweet Jesus, and like St. Peter, seek His forgiveness.

     Christ knows each one of us. He knows our weaknesses and our strengths. He prays for us continually, and sends graces upon graces to assist us in our struggles. He loves us passionately and unconditionally and will never forsake us.

     We need learn to accept our failings and forgive ourselves. But not use this as an excuse to stop trying. We have to pray for the virtue of humility to grow in us, and realize that with our fallen nature, our faults will be with us for the rest of our lives. With this weakness in mind, remember to cry out to God for His help and guidance, less we fall.  Then, as God’s children, we can bring our hearts, full of both disappointments and love, and offer them to Him as a gift.

      “For You are not pleased with sacrifices; should I offer a holocaust, You would not accept it. My sacrifice is a contrite spirit; a heart contrite and humbled, O God, You will not spurn” (Ps 51:18-19).

     Like St. Peter, I must swallow my pride, and ask the Lord for forgiveness. I must keep my eyes fixed on Him and His great love for me. I must believe in the image that He has of me – a saint in the making – and not accept the image that the Evil One projects – a loser who will never overcome herself. I must continue to depend upon God and His graces and never stop trying. I must believe in God, who believes in me and relish His unfailing love and mercy. I will continue to believe that God will provide all that I need to become the woman He created me to be.

     AFTER I DO THIS, I will not be ashamed on Easter morning, to run to the tomb of the risen Christ with the other woman – hands filled with sufferings, failures, efforts, humility and good intentions, but most especially, with a heart full of love and repentance to thank Jesus for His faithfulness and love for me!

     “Create a new heart in me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me. Cast me not out from Your presence, and Your Holy Spirit take not from me. Give me back the joy of Your salvation, and a willing spirit sustain in me” (Ps 51:12-14).

    "In no one else, (other than Peter), is better told the fallacy of humanism, understood as self-sufficiency of a person without God, or the utter inadequacy of our own reason and our own strength to get us out of the mess we are in without periodic renewals of divine grace that come to us from God. Because Peter is so much like us in our conflicts, he is, therefore, our greatest hope.”                                                  
                                                           Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

     St. Peter, pray for us!
    
    
    
    

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Avia Joy! You are singing to the choir, especially in my case! I am often comforted by Peter's humanness!

    ReplyDelete