Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Dealing with Gnats

     “Confession heals. Confession justifies. Confession grants pardon from sin. All hope consists in confession. In confession is a chance for mercy. Believe it firmly. Do not doubt. Do not hesitate. Never despair of the mercy of God.”                                                                 St. Isadore of Seville



     What a tremendous gift we have as Catholics in the Sacrament of Reconciliation! It is such a healing balm for the wounds of our souls. At times we can take it for granted and forget the transforming effect it has upon us.


     I usually try to make it a practice to go to confession bi-monthly, or when time gets away from me, monthly. Unfortunately, life got really crazy and busy and before I realized it, two months had passed since my last confession. Let me describe how I was feeling: Picture a beautiful grassy field on a sunny day. There you are standing – trying to enjoy yourself. You are surrounded by swarms of gnats. Now gnats are not like bees with stingers that can stick you, but small and very annoying. They come in swarms and seem determined to fly up your nostrils, in your eyes or mouth. If you move, they move with you and seem to multiply. It appears as if their job is to bother you and distract you from the beauty of the field in which you are standing. Finally in desperation, you leave the field and retreat inside.

     That is the way sin can affect us as it accumulates on our soul. Suddenly everyone and everything can become like a gnat – annoying! Of course we don’t believe it to be ourselves, but everyone else instead. No one has really done anything big to bother us as we stand in the field of life, swatting away. It doesn’t occur to us that we are in need of the healing grace of the sacrament of Reconciliation. But then, through the grace of God, a light goes on in our heads, and we see the “writing on the wall.” We realize that our unconfessed sin is the culprit. We need to immerse ourselves in the refreshing bath for our soul and allow the mercy of God to cleanse us in confession.

     As the agitation grew within my being, it finally occurred that I was in great need of the graces of the sacrament. Thankfully, I was able to make an appointment with a priest. Having two months of life’s activities behind me, I found it quite difficult to examine my conscience as thoroughly as when I go every two weeks. By praying to the Holy Spirit, along with the help of my personal calendar in an effort to recall my sins, I managed to feel prepared to bring my failings and imperfections before God.

     As I brought the darkness of my soul into the light of God’s grace through the sacrament of Reconciliation, I felt refreshed and renewed. I did not need to run away and retreat anymore. I felt ready and able to stand in the beautiful field of life once again and even deal with the gnats.

     I was given the gift of hope that I could begin again and not be so hard on myself. I will fail. I will not always love as God is calling me to love. My love still needs to be purified and perfected, but I will have plenty of opportunities to try. I also have to remember my littleness and weakness and depend upon God’s help to grow in holiness. It showed me that I must make a concerted effort to get back to bi-monthly or monthly confession – not only for the sake of my soul, but for the good of those with whom I come in contact.

     Jesus knows quite well, the human heart with all its triumphs and failures. He knows we are in need of the graces of the sacrament. On Easter evening, the Sacrament of Reconciliation was the first gift that He gave us, after rising from the dead. Through His priests, we can experience forgiveness for our sins – something that up until then was reserved only for God.

     Jesus said to them, again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent Me, so I send you.” And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained” (Jn. 20 vs. 21-23).

     Do not allow the gnats of life to get the best of you. Take advantage of this great gift from our Lord Jesus Christ and experience the peace that only comes from God through His Holy Priesthood. Make frequent confession a regular practice and never hesitate to receive His Divine Mercy.
   
   

1 comment:

  1. Oh Avia Joy, what an excellent analogy!!! I never thought of it that way,but it is perfect! Praise God that we do have the gift of Reconciliation and an assurance of forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete