Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Mary's Gift

     From my youthful years this prayer has held an important place in my spiritual life. The Rosary has accompanied me in moments of joy and in moments of difficulty. To it I have entrusted any number of concerns: in it I have always found comfort.”                                                   Pope John Paul  II


     I remember, as a little girl, kneeling in our living room and praying the rosary with my family. It was not something we did with regularity, but when an urgent event presented itself. As I grew older, although my relationship with Our Lady was still very important to me, my devotion to the rosary dwindled to praying it at “viewings” for deceased loved ones.


     Somewhere in my twenties, a cousin suggested that I pray the rosary for a special intention, and so I did. I remember the peace and comfort that I felt while praying. I was honestly surprised at how “at home” and “connected” to our Mother it made me feel. It was not the monotonous, rote prayer that I recalled as a child, but instead a repeated tug at the heart of Mary
.
     Since that time, praying the rosary has become part of my everyday life. I have a pair in my car and pray it while I’m driving. I have found it keeps me peace filled and patient, especially when traffic is challenging. Keeping a pair in my pocketbook and praying while waiting in line at a store or at a doctor’s office, does wonders for my disposition. I also have a pair under my pillow, and pray at least one mystery before falling to sleep, and if I wake up during the night, a new mystery is begun.

     I have prayed the rosary with such intensity at times, that its power was palpable, while at other times, with distractions and difficulties. Although I try to focus on each mystery, depending on where I am or what I’m doing, that is not always possible. Because of the pace of our lives, I have learned not to wait for the “perfect moment” to pray the rosary. A wise priest once said that the only badly said rosary is the one you didn't say, and I've taken that to heart. Still, I do not rush while praying but have come to my own rhythmic pace, uniting my prayer with our Mother’s.

     Like Our Holy Father, the rosary has accompanied me in moments of joy and difficulty. During uncertain times, the rosary is my “go to” prayer, because of its familiarity, as well as, the peace that it provides. When my mind is overwhelmed with worry and concern, it switches to automatic pilot, and with probably now thousands of rosaries behind me, it becomes a mantra and a life boat.  “Pray for us sinners NOW, and at the hour of our death,” is a like a soothing balm that Mother Mary places on my heart, as she unites with me in my urgent petition.

     The rosaries prayed in joy filled times, as well as rosaries prayed in thanksgiving, are ways of celebrating with Our Lady, for her help and her faithfulness to us. The rosary is Mary’s gift to us and she has come to the earth to ask that we pray it, time and time again.

     Today, October 7, on the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, I will thank my cousin by praying a rosary for her!
     

2 comments:

  1. May we all 'have' and 'be' such a cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a saying "A picture is worth a thousand words". I guess that is true, but these words paint a beautiful image in my mind and heart. The image then speaks to my heart and spirit and resound there again and again. What a fitting tribute to Our Lady of the Holy Rosary, Avia Joy.

    ReplyDelete