Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Precious Souls

     When we think about Christmas, often certain Christmas carols come to mind.

     When I was a little girl, I had two favorite songs. The first was “Away in the Manger.”

     I so loved that song! The fact that little Jesus had no crib on which to lay, made me feel so sad for Him, and for Our Lady and St. Joseph, who surely wanted somewhere special to lay Him.

     But the words go on to say that even in those dire circumstances, little Jesus was content. He did not cry. That fact too, soothed my childlike heart. I loved Him so very much, and in the next line, we tell Him that we do. We then ask that He look down upon us and stay with us always, and bring us one day, to heaven to live with Him there.

     It all seemed so very simple, in the mind of a child. But what a beautiful place to be!
     My other favorite was “Little Drummer Boy.”

     I’m sure, like myself, you too wanted to be that little drummer boy. How very blessed he was to be so close to Baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph; to be there in the stable and give Jesus the gift of himself.

     As an adult, I realize that is something I can still do. Each day as I go about my day, many situations arise where I am given the opportunity to give myself in a way that will cost me: my time, my will, my pride, my love. These are all ways I can give a gift to the Christ Child and show Him that I do truly love Him. I can still be the little drummer boy in my own way.

     As time has passed, I have had different favorite songs for different phases of my life. Some of my favorites revolved around my own children, sung by Rodger Whittaker. They were more folksy than traditional Christmas carols but became dear to my heart.

     This particular year, the song that has repeatedly struck me in a deep and profound way is “O Holy Night.”

     This is a song that I have listened to, sung at Church with the congregation, and thought I knew it well. The part that always stuck me in the past, was the verse where we are asked to fall on our knees at the idea of Christ being born into the world. That was the part that was powerful to me, but this year I had the opportunity to read the words several different times, and a different section bowled me over.

     When I read these words, it was like I saw them for the first time:

              “Long lay the world in sin and error pining, till He appeared and the soul felt its worth. A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices, for yonder breaks, a new and glorious morn.”

    Read those words! Ponder them and allow them to sink deep within your heart and soul!

     He appears and the soul felt its worth!

    Do we KNOW the worth of our soul? Do we truly realize it? Do we know what it cost our heavenly Father? Mary? Joseph? Jesus?

     Do we even realize that for thousands of years, the Chosen people of God were waiting for their Savior? Something that we often take for granted.

     Before Jesus came, our sinful world was pining for His arrival. They wanted to be freed from their sins and the doors of heaven open, once again.

     That is what happened with the arrival of Christ, the God-Man who came into the world. With His arrival, we gained our identity as Children of God. Our souls were so precious to Papa, that He sent His only Son to save us from our sin. That is what our souls are worth! God becoming Man!

     Do we thank God for this great gift? Do we act as though we are worth dying for? Do we protect and treat our souls with the utmost of care and concern for their wellbeing? Do we walk with our head held high and embrace the grace that Jesus holds out to us?

     If we truly realize our worth with the coming of Jesus, then we will “thrill with hope,” and not allow our weariness to overcome us!

     Have you ever felt weary and hopeless? And then gradually, or sometimes quite suddenly, something changes – and a light begins to flicker – and it gets brighter and brighter – till hope has been reborn in your heart. Your weariness is suddenly changed into a quiet rejoicing, as your own “yonder breaks and a new glorious morn” appears!

     This is the feeling, the fact, that we must never forget! Christ’s coming into our world has changed everything! With all our burdens, with all of our troubles, we are not alone. His grace and His presence are with us. So please join me:

    “Fall on your knees, O hear the angles voices! O night divine, O night when Christ was born! O night divine, O night, O night divine!"

     Although a new year has begun, we are still in the midst of the Christmas season. Take some time and ponder the words of some Christmas carols. Let them sink into your heart and your mind. Hear what they are saying and allow them to transform your mind and your heart to the reality of what God has done for us.

     Feel your worth and praise God in song, for His great gift to us!


    

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! How profound Avia Joy. I too have read and sang those words many times before, but never truly "HEARD" them. Thank you for pointing out the obvious. I will take your suggestion seriously and ponder the words of some Christmas carols during this Christmas Season.

    ReplyDelete