“But there are some things that you cannot be sure of. You must take a chance. If you wait for perfect weather, you will never plant your seeds. If you are afraid that every cloud will bring rain, you will never harvest your crops. You don’t know where the wind blows.” Ecclesiates 11:4
It’s been three years since my husband, and I went on our pilgrimage to France.
My dream was to go to Lisieux to visit the sites of St. Therese, my love, while Jonathan’s was to encounter Normandy Beach. Neither happened. Quite unexpectedly, only twenty-four hours after we landed, my husband experienced a very serious medical issue, which landed him in the hospital for the remaining time of our pilgrimage, minus one day. Although we were both very disappointed, we were just happy to get home alive. I remember kissing the ground when we landed.
When my husband and I planned our pilgrimage, we knew God would be with us as our traveling companion. Even though so much unexpected happened, God’s grace was there, and we were surrounded by the prayers of so many people who were storming heaven. As difficult as it was, we did get through it.
The desire in my heart to see Therese has never left me. In fact, a part of me, really longed to try again… so I did. Two times, both unsuccessfully!
During quiet moments, when I could be honest with myself, I realized I wasn’t really ready. It became evident that there was much for me to still process: healing of traumatic memories, dealing with fears, and frankly, giving it some time to trust again that “all would be well.”
After much prayer, talking with loved ones, and finding a good friend to travel with, the Pilgrimage to France is “a go!” It’s a little more than a month away. Unfortunately, my husband does not want to take the risk of going again, so I will make a recording of Normandy Beach for him.
Lisieux is still a part of the pilgrimage, along with a lot of other wonderful holy sites.
For so very long, I did not and would not allow myself to dream it could happen. Something within, prevented me from being able to take the next step. Fear, of one sort or another, would creep in. With God’s help and graces, I have moved from being cautiously excited, to truly excited!
Jonathan has been asking me about where we’re going, and where we’re staying. He is very excited for me, and for that I am truly grateful!
I received what I saw as a very strong confirmation from God, that “ALL WILL BE WELL,” when I learned our Holy Father will be in Lourdes the day we arrive. He will be leading the rosary procession that evening. What a kiss from heaven!
Also, the baths in Lourdes are now open and I plan to take the plunge! I want to soak in the miraculous water, and be healed of life’s hurts and disappointments, and go “in proxy” for my husband’s difficult health conditions.
Notre Dame Cathedral is now open to visit. That too was closed three years ago.
It is my hope that this time, things will go as planned. I’m hoping to visit St. Therese, Mount St. Michel, St. Margaret Mary Aloquoe, St. Catherine Laboure, St. Bernedette, Lourdes, and see Pope Leo! There are so many other beautiful places we will, God willing, get to experience.
I am choosing to place my hope and trust in God, that this pilgrimage will be just as He has ordained, and if it’s too my liking, I will certainly be delighted.
Regardless of what happens, God will be with us. He will be with us each step of our journey. I am bringing an open heart and mind, which will allow Him to fill it with everything I need to be a pilgrim on this particular journey.
I refuse to live in fear, but to put my trust in my Papa, who always provides for whatever it is that I need.
Please pray for us and be assured of our prayers for each of you, as we travel to the holy sites, and witness the glory and splendor of God!
“Boldness or daring is based upon hope, and to enkindle such enthusiasm, that hope must be exceedingly vehement…Thus, in religion hope keeps its gaze resolutely turned to the grace of God: it repeats to itself that with God all things are possible and continually reminds itself that it will never be left alone in life, that God is continually watching and aiding.” Fr. Bede Jarrrett, O.P.
So very excited for you, you’ve patiently waited for His timing and look how perfectly everything is falling into place. God bless and hope to see some pics! 🙏
ReplyDelete