Thursday, July 6, 2023

Companions on the Journey

      “There is a space formed by the particular shape of our life. It is meant for God Himself to indwell. This must be felt as a lack…and it comes about through daily circumstances. It may be caused by a cavern of a lonely heart, the ache of a lost one, the yearning that comes from ‘not yet being home.’ In truth we are to glory in this emptiness—for it is the price we pay for such an immense dignity. To wait in courage for God to fill our particular emptiness is one of the most profound of love's acts."        Ed Colin

     It was Monday, and I had received news about the death of a dear friend. I was saddened by the sudden loss, but not surprised. Miriam’s health had been failing the last number of months, but she was still able to function fairly well and pushed herself to act as though “all was well.”

     We had met a good number of years ago, when she was in RCIA. She had come to church one evening to attend a devotion, which I was leading, and I welcomed her with open arms.

     We became fast friends from that point. In no time, my husband and I welcomed her into our home and hearts. 

     Miriam called herself a baby Catholic. She was always hungry to learn everything she could about our faith. She was always asking questions about things she didn’t understand or things she struggled to believe. 

     She was a faithful adorer of the Blessed Sacrament and spent hours with Jesus. She was a greeter at our Saturday vigil Mass, and the priests and parishioners were family to her. Miriam was widowed and had no children, so she truly cherished her friends and was not shy about making that fact known.

    I cried at the loss of my friend and hoped she was at peace. I remembered the Divine Mercy chaplet would be prayed in our chapel, later that day. Although I had prayed one already for her, I wanted to pray in the chapel with other parishioners, for the repose of her soul.

     A woman 20 years my senior leads the chaplet. Seraphina is a beautiful woman of faith and lives her life fully. Widowed now, she is still able to live in her home, drive, attend daily Mass and adoration time, spend time with family and friends and does what she can to help others. She even made a pilgrimage last fall and is planning another this year.

     I told her about the sudden death of Miriam, our fellow parishioner. Seraphina offered her sincere condolences and included Miriam in the chaplet. I was feeling somewhat sad and vulnerable. The sudden loss of Miriam seemed to rekindle the pain of missing my sister Sarah. It is seven months since she entered eternal life. There was a part of me that envied the fact that the troubles of this life were no longer a burden for Sarah and Miriam. I was also feeling discouraged. I have many serious prayer intentions. I’ve been praying forever for things to change for the better and to me, they still seem very much unanswered. It felt to me as though my lack of faith just maybe was an obstacle to receiving a favorable answer. I was extremely discouraged and disheartened. My longing for God was strong. I knew I needed His grace and encouragement.

    Looking at Seraphina, I wondered if I could live my life fully for another 20 years or more if that was indeed part of God’s plan for me. There was so very much for me to live for and look forward to, but it just didn’t “feel” like it that day. I shared with her my thoughts and told her how very much I admired her and wondered what was her secret to living life to the full?

     She attributed it all to God, along with the influence of an aunt who had been such a positive role model in her life. I asked her if she ever got weary or tired of all the ups and downs of life. She said that although she has her moments, she cries, gets it all out and then hands the worry over to God. She lets Him take care of it.

     Seraphina shared that although she wonders why God hasn’t taken her yet, she is prepared and looks forward to spending eternity with Him.

     As I sat there listening, I felt inspired to ask this very graced woman to please give me a blessing. She seemed taken aback and surprised, but I gently asked again. She humbly agreed.

     I sat before her, while she stood and placed her hands upon my head. Seraphina began to pray out loud and beseech God for specific blessings upon me. Tears filled both of our eyes. This was a very special and holy moment. I had come to the chapel to pray for my deceased friend, and I was the one who was blessed. It truly felt like a gift from heaven.

     God places people in our lives. Some relationships are fleeting and some much longer. They all play a part in our life for the good or the bad. We never know the way we will impact someone’s life or how someone will impact ours. 

     That day, when I was feeling so low, God sent someone to act as an angel to me, to lift my spirit and encourage me. I know, at times, I have been that angel to someone. You too have been that angel. As the body of Christ, His Church, we need to lift one another with the love we receive from God to carry on and not become discouraged.

     In our fallen world, with all its ups and downs, we need “hope” to be dangled before our eyes like a prize, encouraging us to take the next step and give our best. We know we are not alone, and God and His grace are with us always. A smile you give, a phone call you make, can lift someone when they are tempted to give up.

     About 10 days before Miriam died, she had been on my mind a lot. It was a busy, crazy day, but I decided to give her a call. I got her answering machine and left a message that I loved her, missed her and hoped she was well.

     The following day, she called to tell me that my call reassured her that “There is a God!” My message lifted her spirit in a miraculous way.  She conveyed to me emphatically that she could never express, just what the call meant to her.

     I whispered a “thank you” to God…because at times, I do not always respond to that little inspiration. I only got to talk to my friend once more before her death. I am truly grateful to God for that gift.

     I left the chapel that day ready to continue my journey on earth for as long as the good Lord sees fit. My feeling of emptiness, the yearning for God is something I need to befriend. It is a reminder to me and to all of us that we are just pilgrims and sojourners on this earth. Our true home is in heaven and our deepest desire is for union with God. We are His children and the ache and lack is a homesickness that cannot be filled here on earth.

     One day when it is “our time,” Jesus will come for each of us and take us home. We will be united with God; all the angels and saints and that longing will finally cease in our hearts. We will once again see all our loved ones and be reunited with those who have gone before us. Our journey will be complete.  Until that time, we must try to surrender completely to God’s holy will and plan, knowing it is what’s best!

     “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and God of all encouragement, who encourages us in our every affliction, so that we may be able to encourage those who are in any affliction with the encouragement with which we ourselves are encouraged by God” 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.

     


     

     

     

     

     

      

     


1 comment:

  1. I’m sorry for your loss Avia Joy:(
    I hope you find comfort knowing you made such a positive impact in her life. I also hope you’re encouraged to know you make a positive impact on so many lives, mine included, by your gift of writing.

    ReplyDelete