Saturday, April 4, 2020

A Sight for Sore Eyes

     We have all been asked to sacrifice and give up so very much since the Corona 19 virus has become a pandemic.

     I have found some things more difficult than others. Not being able to see my children, their spouses and my grandchildren, as well as family and friends, has been a great burden. The most profound sacrifice is not being able to attend Holy Mass and receive Jesus in Holy Communion!


     To get my “fix” of not seeing my loved ones, facetime and skype have been very helpful. Calling family and friends on the phone, to check in and see how they are faring through all of this, has been a blessing as well!

     I am also still making a holy hour to the “Hidden Jesus,” as Francesco, the visionary from Fatima, lovingly called Jesus, present in our tabernacles. Spiritual communions are also a vital part of my day.

     One day last week, while our church was being sanitized, I had to go to a neighboring parish. I was aware that they did have Eucharistic Adoration.  I did not expect my reaction! I was overcome with great joy, by seeing Jesus’ Presence, in the monstrance on the altar.

     As my eyes gazed upon His Presence, they teared up and a big smile came over my face! It was like seeing a long, lost Friend. I just sat there; my eyes riveted upon my dear sweet Jesus. Even though I had been visiting Him every day since Mass had ceased, seeing Him made my heart sing! Never in a million years, did I expect this reaction to the reality of His Presence!

     As I sat there adoring Him and thanking Him for His faithfulness to us, in instituting the Eucharist, a song began to well up in my mind and heart. I hadn’t thought of this song in years! The title was “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You. * As I sat there, my heart full of love and gratitude to Jesus, the words kept coming to mind. I silently started to sing it to Him, changing words, to be more appropriate.

     Since my “special visit with Jesus,” the song has continued to haunt and hunt me down. Each time it came to mind, I would sing it, and change more of the words. The thoughts have been relentless, and would not give me rest till I sat down, with pen in hand, and wrote out the words that were filling my heart and mind.

     As I sat there writing, the words continually flowed. I knew it was something I had to write. It was my special gift to Jesus and I wanted to have it in black and white so I could sing it to Him, in the quiet of my heart.

     Although I cannot share my personal gift to Jesus with you, I will share the essence.

     That day I realized that the absence of gazing upon Jesus, did make my heart grow fonder. I had not realized what a visual person I am. When my eyes were riveted upon His Presence, it was a heavenly sight, in which both my eyes and my heart took great delight. I knew His Presence was real, along with His graces. I asked Jesus to abide within my heart for all times and to never leave me. I expressed my need of Him to be there to calm my stormy nights, both now in these uncertain times, and always. I asked that Jesus always love me and renewed my love to Him.   
        
     The Coronavirus is something none of us will ever forget. It has made worldwide changes in everyone’s life, that may continue for some time.

     God has not left us or abandoned us, but is granting us all the graces we need. He is showering His good gifts upon us abundantly. We need to open our eyes and our hearts to recognize and respond to them.

    God granted me with a life-changing gift. Before this “special” visit with Jesus, I never doubted for a second, His Real and True Presence in the Blessed Sacrament. After this grace-filled visit, it is a deeper and personal awareness. I now KNOW, as never before!

    The Coronavirus will be at some point in my life, a distant memory. My experience with my Eucharistic Lord, will forever be engraved deep into my mind and heart.    

     My sweet song to Jesus is something I will continue to sing to Him. I invite you to sit down, pen in hand, to do the same.

    Jesus is there, truly present in the Blessed Sacrament, waiting to gaze upon you. Go, and love Him and gaze deeply upon Him.

    Jesus, our eyes are on You!


  * written by Bob Crowe and Bob Gaudio; Sung by Frankie Valli in 1967.
 
     
    

    

    
    
    

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful experience that you were moved to tears and song from your visit to Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament. I share the longing for the Mass and Jesus in the Eucharist. I thank God for live streaming and spiritual Communions, but it's just not the same. What a gift, that God would allow us to experience that separation from Him and the sacraments is extremely difficult. May this be something that we never forget or take for granted again in our lives. Thank you for sharing with us once again Avia Joy. By the way, when I sang the first part of your song and thought of Jesus, it made me cry!

    ReplyDelete